Short history of the school.
The building where now Vilnius Lithuanians House is located was built in 1960, and since that year one of many Lithuanian boarding schools has been operating in it.
In 1983, the school was transformed into a specialized boarding paramilitary school named VLKJS 50 School.
On 24 April 1990 the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Lithuania issued the order No. 163 P to close the specialized boarding paramilitary school and in its facilities established Vilnius National Boarding School operating in the Lithuanian language for children living outside the Republic of Lithuania. On 10 September of the same year, the school received the name of the Lithuanians House.
By the order No. 65 issued on 27 January 2000, the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Lithuania approved regulations of school; the name of it was changed into Vilnius Boarding Secondary School Lithuanians House. Since 6 March 2006, it is called Vilnius Secondary School Lithuanians House.
Over the years the school has changed a lot: it developed, expanded its functions and gained more experience. On 6 September 2011 the school acquired the status of gymnasium and changed its name to Vilnius Lithuanian house..
The purpose of Vilnius Lithuanians House is to provide general, formal and informal education to children of exiles of Lithuanian origin, descents of political prisoners, foreigners and citizens of Lithuania who have come for a short time or returned to live permanently in the Republic of Lithuania, and children of Lithuanian citizens living abroad. The school also supplies the assistance to other schools and teachers as well as assists in teaching the Lithuanian language.
Vilnius Lithuanians House Gymnasium is addressing these goals:
- is responsible for providing qualified primary, comprehensive and secondary education for the students;
- meets the needs of students knowledge, development and self-expression as well as provides them with ethnic and cultural foundations;
- provides pupils with educational, social, emotional and informational support;
- ensures a safe and healthy learning environment;
- provides conditions for the Lithuanian world community to organize educational and cultural activities;
- guarantees delivery of formal and informal education programs for adults;
- provides information, consults and organizes qualification development activities for schools and teachers;
- organizes training for people who do not speak the Lithuanian language.
- Celebration of the 1st of September A thousand of happy discoveries"
- The school birthday
- The school community Christmas Dinner
- A hundred days before the exams
- Freedom Defenders' Day commemoration
- Mardi Gras
- Lithuanian Independence Day
- The festival of Vilnius art clubs Festivaliuks
- The last bell celebration
Students who come from abroad live in a renovated dormitory with all necessary facilities. There is the dining room, hall, study, recreation and fitness rooms. After graduation, successful students can apply for targeted places at Lithuanian universities.
Conditions of acceptance
Education, living and meals in the dormitory are free of charge.
Vilnius LithuaniansHouse accepts:
For your attention:
- children who are descendents of Lithuanian exiles and political prisoners;
- children of foreigners;
- children of Lithuanians coming or returning to Lithuania;
- children whose parents live outside Lithuania.
- Pupils are accepted to the first grade at the age of seven or if he/she will be seven till the 31 of December of the same year. Otherwise, the childs evaluation of maturity must be carried out in accordance with the Pre-school and Primary School Programs Assessment Procedure of the Republic of Lithuania approved by the order No. ISAK-2173 of the Minister of Education issued on 9 October 2005;
- To other classes, pupils are accepted at the age of 7 17. Those who do not know the Lithuanian language are accepted to a special class or group where one year a special attention is paid to learning the Lithuanian language;
- Education of students coming from a foreign countries is organized in accordance with the requirements of the Law of the Republic of Lithuania on Education and the general education programs;
- The ones who come from abroad and do not have the documents providing the evidence of education or learning outcomes are evaluated by the approved commission.
Public support is given to persons who brought school-aged children to Vilnius LithuaniansHouse (to descendants of exiles of Lithuanian origin and political prisoners). The travel expenses are paid for one accompanying person and children who came to study.
- parents (guardians) application form;
- documents providing the right of priority (if the priority criteria are applied);
- the child's birth certificate and the copy of it;
- the child's health certificate form;
- foreign passport and/or a temporary/permanent residence permit;
- notarized parental consent for learning, living, medical care and representation
of the child in Lithuania if the pupils parents do not live in Vilnius.
Parents (guardians) application form is accepted by 15 July. Other documents are accepted by 25 August. Acceptance to school takes place on 25 31 August from 9 am School year starts on 1 of September.
The school operates the following extra-curriculum activities/clubs:
- Friends of art
- Folk dances
- Chamber choir
- Solo singing
- Sports (bascetball)
- Sports games